Friday 18 May 2007

Peterborough..Peterborough...wherefore art thou.... Oh for Pete's sake!!!

Mishappen mishaps!
PART II

Now you know something else I discovered about this beautiful city-town that I have been living in, other than the fact that some cities are cities, while others, though called cities are actually towns? Oh jeez... do I actually have to answer that? Thought I would ask a rhetorical question, leave it dangling in the air, go take a nap and write about something else. K if you insist on knowing, I discovered that the cosmopolites and 'metropolites' haven't heard of Peeeterrburrrraaah, as they call it....ever!

This is ok when you put this in perspective with how the world would only be a speck if viewed from a certain distance, while you are engaged in free fall in space and you are grappling with the concept of what Newton had been trying to say about the earth having gravitational pull as the result of the apple falling on top of his head, him getting knocked out and then becoming delusional, and of all the things he thought of as he came to, was the law of universal gravitation poor chap! If you were to zoom in closer (don't know how you would manage that considering you are in free fall and you will be the UFO NASA's pointing to, and will ultimately name CANNOTFATHOM3 and conclude that you are a wasteland and no way can a living organism survive on you) the states, regions, counties, cities etc.. would be more definitive, delineated yet blurry, but shapes are still shapes and they are smaller in relation to one another. Of course, you will be unable to view the bees and mosquitoes or any insect that annoys you and you would like to swat just so you can prove that you are a huge animal and it is a small shrivelling insect capable of sucking your blood dry.

All this meaningful drivel has a point, I assure you, since I love elongating facts and painting a picture of occurences as much as I love using oxymorons. I eventually concluded, after intrsopecting in various places within our humble apartment like I do while sitting on the couch, on the kitchen counter, near the dustbin, under the table, in front of the TV (a tour of our apartment will last 6 steps in my size seven feet..ya it's a little bigger than the B and B we stayed in and we like this cozy place and call it a 'studio' apartment while describing it to members of the juvenile we-stay-in-a-huge-3-bedroom-apartment-with-a-garage-in-England-and-so-look-at-us-we-are-so-rich club) that Peeeetrrrburraah is the same as a mosquito - figuratively speaking of course, especially in terms of the importance that it accrues from the cosmopolites. It's a place that exists, but a useless extra word or additive that a thoroughbred metropolite would not possibly want to learn, spew out, or learn as why would anyone want to learn 12 extra letters that forms an obscure place in a country they live in and have lived in for a period of time. No siree!

This is a typical conversation that I have with members of a typical thoroughbred cosmo/metropolitean area. There are so many of them that it's very difficult to differentiate who is whom, as the competition to be viewed as one, is simply immense.

Me (with my Indian accent): Hi (ya they can actually discern from this single syllable your origin of procreation)

Dude/dudette (those with the 'wannabe' accents / actual accents): Hi there! How are you doing today?

He/she walks off before you can give him or her an answer, meaning they were being polite and they don't give a rap if your house was burgled, but I, being an Indian from India don't get the point of all that.

Me (Now am really polite since I don't understand some of the social niceties out here and believe in respectfully answering questions, according to the Indian social norms etc... So I follow them to tell them about my day. I tap him or her on his or her shoulder): Hiya! My day was fine, actually not so fine, as the faucet in my bathroom broke and now I have to turn it anti-clockwise instead of clockwise and my husband's not well and however much he grunts, I don't understand him and I know that's a vile thing to say since I am a married Indian woman and I am supposed to understand my partner at all times even when it's not humanly possible. It's nice of you to ask (my attempt at being really polite) and very kind of you to listen(gent/lady has a flabbergasted and scared look, in equal measures, on his/her face) and I seriously don't want to bore you with details, but anyways....(stare at him/her with a gleeful, expectant look on my face)
to be contd......